I'm looking for...

Saturday, September 16, 2023

Ajvar - roasted capsicum and eggplant dip

 I got introduced to Ajvar a while ago by a Macedonian colleague. Her husband grew bell peppers at home and he would preserve them after harvesting them. The smoky peppers, the vibrant colour, the smooth and tangy after taste - these were all the things that made sure I got addicted to it. For several years I just bought a jar of Ajvar - it was so convenient.  But today I decided to try to make it - and as expected, it tastes so much better when it is home made!

The cherry on top was a Macedonian friend of my son's - I heard him saying to my son "Is your mum making Ajvar? I can smell it!" I must have done something right!


Ingredients:

3 large red peppers, washed

1 small eggplant, washed

1 bulb of garlic (unpeeled)

1/2 teaspoon chilli powder (optional)

2 to 3 tablespoons of olive oil

1/2 cup of white vinegar

salt and pepper to taste

Method:

Put some olive oil on a iron grill and place the vegetables on it. Roast till the skin of the vegetables start to blister and go black.  The garlic will start to go black first, so as soon as that happens, remove it from the grill and set aside.

The peppers and eggplant will take about 25 to 35 minutes to go black, remeber to keep turning the vegetables so that all the sides are cooked evenly.


Let the vegetables cool down till you are able to handle them. Note how vibrant the colours are and how I have not burnt the garlic.


Once the vegetables have cooled down, peel the skin and remove the seeds and top from the capsicum. Remove all of the blackened skin of the eggplant too.



Place all of the above along with the chilli powder, if using, a tablespoon of olive oil, half the vinegar and a generous pinch of salt. Blend it well.


Now pour this mixture into a saucepan and cook it for about 20 to 25 minutes, stirring every once in a while.  You must stir it every 5 to 6 minutes as the mixture settles to the bottom of the saucepan and you do not want it to get burnt. Once the sauce thickens and gets luscious, adjust the salt / vinegar / olive oil combination to suit your taste buds. Finish off with a pinch of freshly ground black pepper and a small drizzle of olive oil.  (Note: I tend not to add the entire 1/2 cup of vinegar into the blender.  I initially add about 1/4 cup and then taste as I go and add more.)


Serve with grilled pita bread or chappaties as a side dish;  or as a dip. Today I had it with grilled pita bread as a lazy lunch.  Once your ajvar has cooled down completely, pour it into a jar and store in the fridge. 



No comments:

Post a Comment