I'm looking for...

Friday, December 30, 2022

Prawns with Mango and Chilli Mayo

 In my early days in Australia, I used to wonder how people could eat prawns that were just passed through steam - unshelled and with the intestines intact.  In fact, when I asked my first ever manager in Australia how they ate the prawns without removing the intestines, he was not able to answer me. He had always eaten them like that, he said and he had not fallen sick.

I avoided having them for several years. Eventually, when I did work up the courage to eat one, I found them juicy and sweet.  This image of a prawn is of course totally opposite to what I grew up with. I now like them like this - and in Summer, most people enjoy prawns cold in a salad.  I hope you try this prawn and chilli mayo salad with ripe mango - the mango sets off the sweetness of the prawns.



Ingredients:

1 kilo fresh, cooked, prawns

1 large mango, chopped finely

1 large lemon for serving

1 large lemon/lime for juicing - we need about a tablespoon of lemon/lime juice

1 egg yolk

1 tablespoon dijon mustard

1/2 cup olive oil

1/2 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon chilli oil - depending on how hot you want the chilli mayo

1/2 teaspoon salt

Salad leaves to serve


Method:

Place egg yolk, mustard and lemon/lime juice in a bowl and beat it well till it becomes smooth and creamy.  Drizzle olive oil a little at a time, all the while beating the egg yolk and mustard mixture, till the oil is incorporated in the sauce.  Continue this process till all the olive oil is used up.  Add the chilli oil and salt and mix it in as well.  Test for taste. It should be creamy, tangy and you can adjust the chilli oil if you want more.


In a large serving tray, arrange the prawns, salad leaves and lemon slices.  Add the chopped mango and set up the platter.


 Drizzle the chilli mayo on top and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment