I'm looking for...

Saturday, July 23, 2022

Onion Uthappam

 I make this dish only when I have left over dosa batter. Not because I don't enjoy it - it is just that the batter needs to be a bit more fermented and a bit more sour than normal dosa batter and usually we run out of dosa batter and I do not have enough to make uthappam. 

Dosa is made from sour/ fermented batter consisting of a rice and lentil mix. If left in the fridge for over a week, I then make it into uthappam - which is distinctively more sour than normal dosa.

I like the simple onion uthappam, but you can add grated carrots or other vegetables that catch your fancy to make this delicious dish.

This dish is a small and spongy savoury pancake - you can see the texture in the picture below - which is eaten for breakfast or dinner along with chutney and/or sambar. Today I have made this for breakfast with some coconut chutney for a fulfilling weekend breakfast.



Ingredients:

2 cups day old dosa batter 

1 small spanish onion, chopped

1 small green chilli, chopped

salt to taste


Method:




Mix the onions and chillies in the batter and add salt to taste.



Cook like a pancake and eat while it is still warm









No comments:

Post a Comment