I'm looking for...

Wednesday, July 20, 2022

Mapo Tofu

 Next to Indian food, my all time favourite is Chinese food. I love the flavours, ingredients, smells and distinctive characteristics of Chinese food. The way the vegetables are cut, uniform, neat and so precise - always fascinated me. Sweet corn chicken soup and chow mien are a couple of my comfort go to foods. Both my children have travelled to China and it is on my bucket list as well. Chinese embroidery is another thing I like a lot.  I think my love for China and Chinese people stems from the fact I used to feed myself novels written by Pearl S. Buck through my early teens until my late twenties. I have a lot of respect for the way Buck describes the people of China and it has created this indelible mark in my brain.

My son went to China on a school trip and he asked me what I would like from there.  I was being frivolous when I said bring me the Jade Buddha - because I was thinking of Jackie Chan and Around the World in 80 days. When he came back from the trip - he presented me with a Jade Buddha!!!! Well, it is resin but it is green and to a young kid, that is what he would have visualised as Jade.  I am extremely pleased with it and it sits with my other Gods in my buffet hutch.

When my daughter went there, she got me a delicate, hand embroidered blouse that is stitched perfectly and is one of my prized possessions. On that note, I must move on to the recipe - which is dedicated to my friends of Chinese origin - Fiona, May, Claire, my daughter's childhood best friend's family with whom we have lost touch now - Esther and family, and more recently, Anthea and Jessica. Thank you for your friendship and for teaching me about your culture.

Mapo Tofu - literally means pockmarked grandmother's Tofu, apparently. What it tastes like is heaven - nothing like what it is supposed to mean! The warmth of ginger, the heat of chilli, the silkiness of the tofu, the nutty smell of sesame oil, the subtle chewiness of the meat - perfect for a cold winter's night!


Ingredients:

1 packet of Silken Tofu (about 400 grams)

200 grams of pork mince

1/4 cup of Chinese sesame oil

3 tablespoons of finely chopped ginger

3 tablespoons of finely chopped garlic

1 to 2 tablespoons of chilli bean sauce

2-3 tablespoons of Chiu Chow style chilli oil

2/3 cup chicken broth

1 1/2 teaspoons of corn flour

1/4 cup water

a handful of chopped spring onions

*Sichaun peppercorns - I did not use them as I did not have them in my pantry, but they will feature the next time I make this dish.

Chopped spring onions and Chives - for garnish

Method:

Heat 1/4 cup of sesame oil in a wok in medium flame.  Add the chopped ginger and cook for a minute.  Add the garlic next and cook for another minute. Next, add the pork and increase the heat a bit and break down the pork and cook till it is browned all over. This will take about 5 to 6 minutes.  Once the pork is done, add the spicy bean sauce and mix into the meat.  The meat will take on the colour of the chilli.  At this point add 2/3 cup chicken broth and let the mince cook in it for a few minutes.  (Note: If you are adding Sichuan peppercorns, they need to be toasted and ground and added at this point and mixed with the pork.)

Meanwhile, drain the tofu from the pack and cut it into cubes. Add the cornflour to the water and make a slurry and keep it ready.

Add the chopped spring onions to the port mince mixture and cook for a couple of minutes.  Then add the tofu and gently toss it so it doesn't break too much.  Add chilli oil - tasting as you go - so you can control the heat.

Finally add the cornflour slurry to the pork and allow the sauce to thicken for a few minutes.


Garnish with extra spring onions and chives.  Serve hot with rice.  I tossed my rice with a teaspoon of sesame oil and toasted sesame seeds and some chopped chives.



No comments:

Post a Comment