I'm looking for...

Sunday, May 03, 2020

Idiappam - String Hoppers or Rice Noodles

String hoppers are rice noodles that people of Kerala and Tamilnadu have for breakfast.  This is an easily available item from most Sri Lankan grocery stores in Melbourne. I have been so used to just picking up a packet of 25 very thin string hoppers for $5.00 that I never bothered to learn how to make it.

All that changed with Covid and with the beautiful tool given to me by my dear friend Claire.  Claire is part of my family - we grew up together, have known each other for five decades, we went to the same school and we know each other's families.  When Claire asked me what I would like to take back to Australia from Kerala, I asked for an idiappam maker.  Today is the first day I have tried to use it and I must say the result is awesome!!!!!  Thank you Claire.


The main difference between the Sri Lankan and Keralan string hoppers is the thickness of the actual noodle. In Kerala, we use the bigger mould to get thicker noodles and the Sri Lankan ones are really fine and hair like.

Ingredients:

1.5 cups of fine roasted rice flour (available from Indian / Sri Lankan Grocers)

1 to 2 cups boiling water

1 teaspoon oil

1/2 teaspoon salt

a little oil, to grease the idiappam maker and the idiappam moulds


Dessicated coconut for garnish (optional)




Method: 


Mix the salt with the rice flour using the wooden spoon. Add 1 teaspoon oil to the flour.  Next add 1 cup of boiling water from a kettle and mix well. Continue to add water - a table spoon at a time till the flour gets together into one big ball.

Let it rest under a wet tea towel for 5 - 6 minutes.  when it gets cool enough to handle, knead the dough and pass it through the idiappam maker.

At this point you can add a tablespoon of desiccated coconut for garnish on each rosette.



Steam the idiappams for 5 - 6 minutes.

Serve hot with sweetened coconut milk.  If you prefer a savoury combination, try with beef, lamb, chicken, egg curry or a vegetable stew.







No comments:

Post a Comment