I'm looking for...

Monday, September 02, 2019

Ari Pathiri - Rice Rotis

If I hadn't made these myself, I would have never believed that it was so easy to roll out a rice flour roti.  I had read a lot about Malabar Ari Pathiris and I thought I could try to make them if I got an easy enough recipe.

One day as I was browsing recipes I came across this seemingly simple recipe - and I couldn't believe that it could be as easy as that.  Anyway, I decided to try it out and I am glad I did.  All of us loved it - and it is gluten free which means more of my friends can have these rotis.

I served it with a dry goat curry - but you can serve it with any vegetable or meat curry or stew.  The rotis are soft and can be folded or rolled - so you can stuff it with fillings of your choice and eat it like a roll too.


Ingredients:
1 cup                     Rice flour
1.25 cup               Water
½ teaspoon        salt
1 teaspoon         coconut oil
Extra rice flour for rolling out rotis


Method:
In a saucepan, roast rice flour for about 5 minutes.  Set it down to cool.
In another saucepan, boil water with the salt and oil.
When the water is boiling, add rice flour and keep mixing till all the water is absorbed by the rice flour.  Turn off flame, close with a lid and keep aside for 5 minutes.
Use a wooden spoon and mix dough.
When the flour cools down enough to be able to use your hands, knead dough to a smooth ball.


Make smaller balls – and roll out using a rolling pin.


Use a bowl or a cookie cutter to cut into a round shape.
In a griddle, cook pastry on both sides for 30 seconds each and then again till the roti puffs up.



Set aside. Repeat process with the rest of the rice dough balls.
I was able to make 14 rice rotis with a diameter of 14 centimeters each.


Note: the rotis don’t roll out well if your rolling pin / surface is not completely dry – so use the rice flour generously while rolling.
The griddle needs to be wiped down quite a bit as the extra rice flour from rolling the rotis burn and tend to stick to your freshly rolled out rotis.



Serve hot with curry of your choice. 

Acknowledgement: Hebbar’s kitchen : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-5JGOr099E


No comments:

Post a Comment