I'm looking for...

Thursday, September 12, 2024

Aval Vilayichathu - Candied Rice Flakes

 A popular tea time snack in Kerala, candied rice flakes or aval vilayichathu is also one of my favourite "travel" and/or hostel snacks. Long train and bus journeys often called for snacks that could be easily stored and consumed.  The same held true for the hostel - except when you took snacks back to the hostel they would last may be a maximum of two days.  Those were the days! I hardly make snacks at home these days as I am mindful of my health and my weight.  However, I have been having massive cravings for this dish so I decided to indulge myself.

Usually this snack has a couple of tablespoons of sesame seeds.  I ran out of them so I used a tablespoon of cumin instead. And the sultanas are optional.


Ingredients:

2 cups red rice flakes  
1 cup jaggery
1and a 1/2 cups shredded coconut
1/3 cup roasted channa dal
15 cashewnuts, halved
1 tablespoon cumin seeds
1 tablespoon  sultanas 
2 tablespoons ghee
3 or 4 cardamom pods, powdered

Method:

Heat the ghee and when melted, add the channa dal and toast it till it turns crisp and slightly red.  When you are about to remove it, add the cumin and toast for a few seconds more. (You would add the sesame seeds at this point if using) Using a slotted spoon, remove the dal and the cumin seeds and in the same ghee toast the cashewnuts, followed by the sultanas.


Add 1/2 cup water to the jaggery and melt it over a low flame. When it is fully melted and comes to a sticky consistency, take it off the flame and strain it to remove impurities. Transfer the liquid to a large bowl.



Add shredded coconut, rice flakes, fried nuts and sultanas and finally the powdered cardamom. Mix well, working quickly so that the jaggery coats the ingredients well.



Let it cool.  Then bottle it. Keeps fresh for a week.






No comments:

Post a Comment