I'm looking for...

Tuesday, June 11, 2024

Soy Garlic Tofu

I got addicted to this dish at a cafe in my place of work.  For the last few times, whenever we went there I would choose the tofu with garlic and soy along with fried rice. My friend Fiona is a great cook and when I asked her if she could give me the recipe for this particular dish, she pointed me to the site https://thefoodietakesflight.com/ and this recipe. I had all the ingredients in my pantry so I decided to try it out.

Making this dish at home is so much better - you can control the oil and salt that goes into it. And if you have the ingredients ready, the actual cooking takes less than 30 mintes.  You need pre cooked and chilled rice to make the fried rice - but the rest of the cooking takes a very short time.

My family loved the tofu - and I think this is one of those recipes that I will keep making over and over again. The sauce is so fresh and garlicky - it is delicious with the right blend of sweet, sour and hot.  Along with the fried rice, it was a satisfying meal 



Ingredients for steamed garlic soy tofu:

1 x 500 gram tofu block

2 tablespoon soy sauce

2 tablespoon oyster sauce (use vegetarian oyster sauce if you prefer)

2 tablespoon sesame oil

2 tablespoon black vinegar

5 cloves garlic, minced (or less, if you prefer less)

2-3 spring onions chopped finely

1 tablespoon chilli oil

1 tablespoon brown sugar



Method:

Take the tofu out of its container and drain all the water. Slice it and place it in a colander or a steamer dish while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.


Mix all your sauce ingredients and place it aside. There is no cooking needed!


Steam the tofu for 10 minutes in a steamer.  Then, place the pieces in the sauce and toss it gently.


That is all, can you believe it?  The tofu is ready.  It will soak up the beautiful flavours of the sauce and it goes well with fried rice. Garnish with some spring onion tops and you are ready to go.


Ingredients for fried rice:

2 to 3 cups rice - cooked and cold.  

2 tablespoons sesame oil

2 to 3 cups (or more) of chopped vegetables (I used kale, onion, celery, carrot, corn, peas, broccoli)

1 tablespoon soy sauce

1 tablespoon oyster sauce

white pepper


To the cold rice, add 1 tablespoon of sesame oil and mix well. Set aside.

Put a wok on the fire, and add 1 tablespoon sesame oil.  As it warms up, toss all the vegetables into it.

When the vegetables get soft, add the soy sauce and oyster sauce.


Next add the rice and toss well.


Add pepper.  Garnish with spring onion tops. Serve hot with soy garlic tofu.



No comments:

Post a Comment