I'm looking for...

Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Rajam's Drop Scones

 When I was about 10 or 11, my amma joined the local YMCA cookery classes.  She would go with my friend Bina's mother, with a notebook and pen and learn all these yummy recipes.  So many notebooks with wonderful recipes! When I came back from school in the evenings, there was always some exotic snack ready on the kitchen table. I was a happy guinea pig - grateful for a nice afternoon snack.

Drop Scones were one of my favourites and when I came to Australia, none of my friends had heard about it.  Of course now we have google and we can ask her anything and she will give you a variety of answers. I have been through a lot of recipes and finally added a couple of amma's ingredients because none of the google recipes mention it.

Today is amma's birthday - she would have been 78 years old today if she had been alive.

Happy Birthday amma - this one is for you! I used to love these slathered with home made butter and a good jam.


Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups  self raising flour

4 tablespoons caster sugar

1 egg

1 cup milk - and may be a few tablespoons of extra milk if you need it

1 pinch salt

1 teaspoon vanilla essence

about a tablespoon of butter for cooking drop scones

This recipe makes about 12 scones that are 4 inches in diameter.

Method:

In a deep bowl, add the flour and sugar, baking powder and salt.  Mix well.

Beat the egg with the vanilla essence and add to the flour mixture.

Add milk little at a time till you get a thick batter.  You may need just a little more than one cup of milk - just add it a tablespoon at a time so that the batter is not runny.


Heat a griddle or saucepan - and add a touch of butter.

Spoon about two tablespoons of batter at a time on the griddle.  When the bubbles start to appear, it is time to flip it over.  This step takes about two or three minutes.


Once you flip it over, it takes less than a minute for the scone to cook.


Stack them up and cover with tea towel to keep them moist.



Serve warm with butter, jam, nutella, maple syrup, berries, anything that takes your fancy!  Enjoy for breakfast or afternoon tea.





No comments:

Post a Comment