I'm looking for...

Sunday, September 27, 2020

Instant Ragi Idlis - Finger Millet Steamed Muffins

 Finger Millet (Ragi) is a cereal cultivated widely in India.  I have read that it came to India from Ethiopia, Africa over 2000 years ago.  It is very common in my part of the world - but my interest in it was renewed just recently after finding out it has a low glycaemic index and keeps you fuller for longer - making it the ideal choice for diabetics and people who want to shed a few kilos..

The only finger millet food I remember having from childhood is the porridge and puttu - so today I decided to road test the instant idlis made with ragi.  I call them instant as they have not been fermented.  Before doing the "real" thing I wanted to be sure that I would like the taste and texture of a ragi idli.

The only thing is if you make an instant idli, it is not gluten free.  So I will post a gluten free version another time.  The ragi idlis are denser than normal idlis but they are quite tasty and very filling.  

Finger millet grains look very much like mustard seeds / quinoa. I have a feeling I will be cooking a lot more with them! So watch out for more recipes.


Ingredients:

1 cup ragi flour

1 cup semolina

1 cup yogurt

1/2 cup rice flour

1 teaspoon salt ( or to taste)

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Water as needed.

Method:

In a bowl, mix the flours - ragi, rice and semolina.  Make a well in the centre and add the yogurt.

Add salt to taste. Keep the bowl in a warm place in the kitchen and go for a walk.  After 30 minutes or so, add water to the batter and make it so that it is slightly thicker than pancake batter.  Add salt if needed.

Just before you pour it into your idli moulds for steaming, add the baking soda and give it another mix.

Por into your idli moulds and steam for about 8 - 10 minutes till a skewer comes out clean.  Let it rest in the mould for a further 3 minutes or so.  Then unmould and serve hot with sambar and chutney.







No comments:

Post a Comment