I'm looking for...

Saturday, April 18, 2020

Banana and Walnut Cake

Probably because I am used to the many varieties of bananas in Kerala, I am not a big fan of the Cavendish bananas you get here in Melbourne.  It is available through out the year and it is big here - everyone loves it.  There is even a song about it - but me, I stay away from it as far as possible.  My family loves them though - so it is part of my weekly groceries and since they ripen so quickly, they even have their own little spot in the kitchen bench top.  Every now and again I get a few that have just sat there and gone black and usually I have no qualms about throwing them out.  But now that we are going through the isolation period, I decided to use the 4 over ripe black bananas and make them into a healthy afternoon tea.  This is a very nice banana cake to make for your office morning tea.  



Thank you to Australia's Best Recipes for the recipe!

Ingredients:

125 g butter
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped and a few extra to decorate
1 3/4 cups self raising flour
2 eggs, beaten
4 bananas mashed
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
3 tablespoons milk
1 tablespoon boiling water

Method: 

Cream butter, sugar and water together.  Gradually add the eggs and the mashed bananas.  

Dissolve bicarbonate of soda in milk and add flour alternately with with milk to banana mixture.

Fold in the chopped walnuts.

Pour batter into a greased and lined mould, 22.5 x 22.5 x 5 cms

Decorate the top with the reserved walnuts.



Bake at 180 deg C (NOT Fan Forced) for about 1 hour or until a skewer comes out clean. 

Cool on  a wire rack for 30 to 40 minutes.


Enjoy with your cup of tea!










No comments:

Post a Comment