I'm looking for...

Sunday, April 09, 2017

Yogurt - Thayir

Yogurt is a main stay in all Indian kitchens.  In India, mum used to make it fresh every day as it was warm and humid and the fermentation took place very quickly.  In Melbourne, however, I make it in large quantities and store it for the week.  My children love it and because of it I do not have to reduce the spiciness in my cooking.  Yogurt makes everything taste less spicy - and it is so good for you!




Ingredients:

1x 3 Litre  bottle of milk (I use full cream milk)
About 3 tablespoons of culture from your previous batch of yogurt.
I use Jalna Greek Yogurt for culture if I do not have any left over.

Step 1:

Boil milk on low fire. Make sure you use a thick bottomed vessel and a medium to low flame so that the milk solids do not burn. There is nothing worse than smoky flavoured yogurt from the burnt milk.
When the milk boils and rises to the top of the pot turn the stove off. 
This can take a while but you have to keep watching it as leaving it unattended will cause it to boil over.

Step 2:

Wait till the milk cools down to about 30 -32 degrees C.  If the milk is too cold, it will take a very long time for the culture to multiply - and if the milk is too hot, the culture will die.

I do not own a food thermometer - but if the pot is over body temperature but you can still hold it and keep your palms on the pot then you are good to go.

Add the culture and forget about it.  In about 5 to 8 hours, your yogurt will be ready.

In Winter, I leave the mixture in the oven overnight - the temperature of the oven should be roughly 25 degrees.

This is a no fail method and I have been making it at home for the last 7-8 years.

Here is a picture of what your yogurt looks like at the end of it:



When I look at the yogurt I made, I feel very happy and I know it has no additives, preservatives or other nasties. It is good wholesome food for the family.

If you like the yogurt to be thicker with no moisture, then tie it up in a moist cheesecloth and let it hang, allowing the whey to drain.  I normally just leave the whey in.

No comments:

Post a Comment