I'm looking for...

Sunday, May 31, 2020

Milk Chicken Curry

It was Friday night- and after a busy week I really did not feel like cooking.  My supplies were running low too - milk was about to reach its expiry date and I had no vegetables except onions in the pantry.  I told my son to make the rice and I googled chicken and milk.  And surprise, surprise, Jamie Oliver, my favourite chef turned up right at the top with a milk chicken roast.  It was a no-brainer - I decided to Indianise the recipe - so here goes....and it was absolutely tasty and it will be a repeat recipe in our house.




Ingredients:

1 large onion - sliced
1 green chilli, chopped
2 tablespoons oil
1 piece of cinnamon
4-5 cloves of garlic
1/2 tablespoon ginger paste
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
2 teaspoon chilli powder
1 teaspoons coriander powder

1 kg chicken, skinned and cut to curry pieces
1 large tomato, sliced
1 sprig curry leaves
2 cups milk
Salt to taste
Freshly ground black pepper - 1/2 a teaspoon
Coriander leaves to garnish (optional)

Method:

In a large saucepan, heat oil.  Add the cinnamon stick and when it releases its fragrance, add the garlic.  When the garlic just starts to get golden, add the onions and green chilli and saute till onion turns transparent.

Next add the ginger paste and all the powders.  The oil gets coloured and fragrant at this point - add the chicken and brown it, mixing it well in the spices.  Add the tomatoes and continue mixing till the tomatoes go mushy.  Add curry leaves and give it a mix.  Add salt to taste.

Add the milk, reduce heat and let the chicken cook in the milk.  The milk will separate and make the gravy thick - this is normal. The chicken cooks in about 20 minutes or so.  Finish off by grinding some black pepper on the curry.

Garnish with coriander leaves if you have it.  I didn't have it - and so I didn't use it.

Serve hot with rice.


No comments:

Post a Comment