I'm looking for...

Sunday, April 01, 2018

Rice Filled Capsicums







Once again, I have to thank Ermioni Bilimis for the fresh capsicums from her vegetable garden.  This recipe is adapted from Coles / Taste magazine and I used the ingredients I had in my pantry.  I had never cooked capsicums this way before and when I got a bag of fresh juicy capsicums from my friend Ermioni, I decided to try this vegetarian dish.  My family loved it and I hope you do too!

Ingredients:


Olive oil, to grease
6 capsicums  (use a mix of colours to make the dish colourful)
I used banana or bull horn capsicums, sliced in half to make this dish
3 cups cooked rice ( I used Basmati rice)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
400g can chopped tomatoes
1/2 cup chopped pickled green olives
1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
1/4 cup grated pecorino
1/4 cup grated cheddar
1/2 cup smooth ricotta
1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
1 tablespoon chopped fresh continental parsley




Method:

Step 1.  Preheat oven to 180°C. Brush a large ovenproof dish with oil.

Step 2.  Cut the tops from capsicums and reserve. Remove the seeds and white membrane and discard. Cook the capsicums and tops in a saucepan of salted boiling water for 10 minutes or until just tender. Remove with a slotted spoon. Place capsicums and tops, cut-side down, on a baking tray. Set aside for 15 minutes to drain.
I used banana capsicums and I cut them lengthwise.

Step 3.  Transfer cooked rice to a large heatproof bowl.

Step 4.  Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium-low heat. Cook the onion and garlic, stirring often, for 6-8 minutes or until soft. Add the tomato. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until the mixture thickens. Add to the rice. Stir until combined. Stir in the olive, pine nuts, pecorino, ricotta, mint, chive and parsley. Season with salt and pepper.






Step 5 Divide the rice mixture among the capsicums. Top with the cheddar and reserved capsicum tops. Place in the prepared dish. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the capsicums are tender and the rice is heated through. I added the cheddar in the last step and warmed through for another 5-8 minutes.



 Step 6:  Serve hot with large green salad.



No comments:

Post a Comment